Keen for a one-pot meal that everyone will love while camping? Try this paella. It’s easy, nutritious and light for when you’re trekking. It’s vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free (check your stock ingredients to be certain), so everyone can enjoy it. The ingredients won’t go bad in hot weather either!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
- 50g sachet tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dried red bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2/3 cup paella rice (or fast cook rice)
- Put on around 4 cups of water to boil.
- Roughly chop the shallot and garlic.
- Soak the dried peppers in a little of the boiling water.
- Dissolve the stock in 2-3 cups of the hot water.
- Heat the oil and saute the shallot, garlic and cashews.
- Add the soaked peppers, paprika, stock, tomato paste and rice.
- Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until rice is cooked.
This also works well with sorghum instead of rice, but takes longer to cook. Consider also adding other flavors like chorizo or dried peas.