This is Italian homemade goodness – but with some preparation beforehand, you can take mamma’s cooking on the trail with you!
- 200g spaghetti (quick-cook or angel hair vermicelli can save you fuel)
- 10g dried garlic flakes
- 100g tomato paste (2 sachets)
- 36 ml olive oil (3 sachets)
- large pinch of dried basil
- dried parmesan to taste
- First, make the sauce. (This recipe assumes you only have one burner and can’t cook both spaghetti and sauce at the same time.) Soak the garlic until it’s soft. Drain.
- Heat the oil and saute the garlic until lightly colored.
- Add the tomato paste and the basil. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes. Set aside, keeping warm where possible.
- Boil as much salted water as possible for the pasta. Cook for 11-13 minutes until cooked but not soggy.
- Drain spaghetti and immediately stir through sauce. Reheat as needed.
- Serve with parmesan.