This is Italian homemade goodness – but with some preparation beforehand, you can take mamma’s cooking on the trail with you!
The base recipe is suitable for vegetarians and vegans (excluding the optional parmesan). Meat lovers can add salami for extra protein. Kids love this spaghetti too – it’s great for families.
- 200g spaghetti (quick-cook or angel hair vermicelli can save you fuel)
- 10g dried garlic flakes
- 100g tomato paste (2 sachets)
- 36 ml olive oil (3 sachets)
- large pinch of dried basil
- dried parmesan to taste
- First, make the sauce. (This recipe assumes you only have one burner and can’t cook both spaghetti and sauce at the same time.) Soak the garlic until it’s soft. Drain.
- Heat the oil and saute the garlic until lightly colored.
- Add the tomato paste and the basil. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes. Set aside, keeping warm where possible.
- Boil as much salted water as possible for the pasta. Cook for 11-13 minutes until cooked but not soggy.
- Drain spaghetti and immediately stir through sauce. Reheat as needed.
- Serve with parmesan.