The sweet-sharp taste of this northern Italian risotto makes for a delicious dinner while camping. It’s popular with kids and difficult-to-please adults alike, and it’s suitable for people with different dietary requirements, like vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free.
- 25 ml olive oil (2 sachets)
- 130g arborio or carnaroli rice (“risotto rice”)
- 1/4 cup of dried onion and garlic, or 1 fresh onion and 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tart apples, dried (Granny Smiths are great) – look for dried apple rings or freeze-dried apple pieces
- a little parsley
- 20g dried parmesan
- Boil a full pot of water.
- Soak the onion and garlic, and separately the apples, in a little boiling water. Use the rest to make stock. Set aside.
- In a clean pot, heat the oil and saute the drained rehydrated onion and garlic.
- Add the rice and stir continuously.
- Add the first ladle-ful of stock before the rice sticks. Add the apple and chopped parsley.
- Continue adding the stock a little at a time until the rice is cooked.
- Serve with parmesan.