This is one of the simplest staples of hikers – couscous is ready in minutes with just the addition of boiling water. But that doesn’t mean it has to be a boring meal! Try this recipe with delicious Mediterranean vegetables and add grilled halloumi for added flair.
Serves 2 hungry hikers.
- 1 cup couscous (fine, not pearls)
- 10g dehydrated zucchini
- 10g dehydrated eggplant
- 10g dehydrated capsicum
- 5g dehydrated garlic
- 1 stock cube
- 1 sachet olive oil (around 10ml)
- Optional: 1 block halloumi (around 180g)
Steps – couscous
- Heat the dehydrated vegetables and dissolve the stock in around 300ml water (around a cup and a quarter). Simmer until tender – around 5 minutes.
- You should now have 1 cup / 250 ml liquid – top up and reheat if required.
- Add the couscous, stir once and cover. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Stir in oil, then adjust salt if needed.
Optional extra – grilled halloumi
A great addition if you’re hiking somewhere not too hot, or you’re only a few hours away from a fridge.
- Cut the halloumi into slices about finger thick.
- Spear the halloumi on a metal fork or knife and grill in the camping stove flame until browned.